UPDATE: THIS CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED.
Free-tique contest with agent Jennifer Jaeger of Andrea Brown Literary Agency is open for Entries!
Why do you want to enter?
1) It’s a chance to see how you stand among your competition FOR FREE.
2) If you pass Snoop’s muster, it’s another way to get yourself in front of a notable literary agent QUICKLY!
3) It’s just plain fun, y’all.
Submissions are open from now until 11:59PM (CST) Friday, October 26th.
Snoop will sniff out the ones he’d love to chew the most (these would be the best in his mind), and then pass up those manuscripts to the esteemed Jennifer Jaeger as finalists. From those finalists, Ms. Jaeger will pick winners.
Our finalists will receive a quick-crit from Snoop (answers will be similar to Why? Why? Why?).
And our winners will win a traditional free-tique from Snoop AND an agent critique from Jennifer Jaeger.
Finally, Snoop will also draw a RANDOM winner out of the hat to win a traditional free-tique. So everyone gets a chance to win something.
1) You can enter up to three manuscripts (25 pages max for novels or chapter books. Fulls for PBs). All FICTION categories, except poetry (rhyming PBs are okay), for children’s writers. Any genre. No dummies. No screenplays.
2) You must be unagented, unless your agent only handles adult fiction.
3) The work you submit must be uncontracted (DUH!).
4) The work you submit should be FINISHED.
5) If the ms you are submitting has been out to editors, it should not have been rejected more than five times already.
6) If you’ve submitted the manuscript to ABLA, you must let me know a) if you’re still waiting on a response from the agent b) which agent you queried and c) if it was rejected, which agent rejected the work. (This is to help Jennifer avoid any conflicts of interest. So please be smart about this, people, and disclose this information with your submission.)
7) If you WIN or FINAL or are the Random Winner, you agree your name will be announced on www.cynthealiu.com. We will include the MS TITLE and genre of your work. (This is so other contestants wil not die from curiosity.)
HOW TO SUBMIT (PLEASE READ IN FULL):
1) ONE manuscript ATTACHED per email. (for example, if you are subbing three works, send three emails). 25 pages max for novels or chapter books. Fulls for PBs.
2) Title the subject line of your email like so “CONTEST: GENRE (PB, ER, CB, MG, YA), WORD COUNT, MS TITLE.” (e.g., “CONTEST: YA, 45,000 words, What My Bunny Doesn’t Know”
3) In the body of your email, include a brief bio. No need to make this fancy -we won’t be critiquing it. Just say what you write (PBs, ERs, Chapter Books, MG, YA), and list any relevant stuff you want Ms. Jaeger to know about you. Your bio will only be used for reference, not for judging. So if you have no credentials, don’t worry about it. But at the minimum, tell us what kind of children’s fiction you write ( e.g., MG and YA, only PBs, etc.,).
4) If you’ve subbed the ms to ABLA, please tell us the history it has with ABLA (see RULES) and include that in the body of your email.
5) Please send all submissions in WORD or WORKS format to SNOOP AT CYNTHEALIU DOT COM.
6) Email it to Snoop before 11:59PM (CST) on Friday, Oct. 26th. No exceptions.
7) Failure to follow any of these rules means Snoop will eat your email, and you can forget about winning anything. So PAY ATTENTION.
Winners will be announced Monday, November 5th (barring any major catastrophes).
GOOD LUCK, EVERYONE!