- Some of you have not been reading Cynthea's Revision 9-1-1 articles. See them here: http://www.cynthealiu.com/category/revision/
- The most common reason Snoop rejected a PB? a PB that read like a novel/chapter book. Snoop estimates at least 50% of the PB entrants fell under this category.
- The second most common reason? a rhyming PB that didn't scan (probably another 25% of all entrants, and 80% of all rhyming entries). Snoop let a few blips go by but if there were two or more (especially in the first page), it got the paws down.
- The most common reasons novels were sent back? A disorienting first page, writing mechanics (watch those -ings and commas, people), Snoop couldn't connect with the MC, Snoop couldn't connect with the premise, Snoop didn't believe characters felt "real" (even if the novel was fantasy), or characters felt too familiar to Snoop (i.e., cliche).
- A lot of people are writing contemporary fantasy! (Or maybe a lot of contemporary fantasy writers know Snoop!)
- A lot of people write really well! Competition is stiff. So revise, revise, revise!
- Trying to follow twenty-plus storylines at one time is hard, but it's easier than it sounds. This means a lot of you are writing distinct pieces! Yay! (Or Snoop has a really good memory. Your pick.)
- Revising a book page-by-page is probably a great idea if you know Snoop could eat your manuscript at any second.
- Writers love a contest!
- Cynthea and Snoop loves writers! (And all the praise, of course–woohoo to that!)
If you have any burning questions about RLGL that aren't answered here, feel free to comment below.
Cynthea and Snoop